Monday, September 7, 2015

Farewell but Hello.

Here's the thing about blogging: Regardless of what kind of blog you run, whether it's fashion, food, or personal, you are putting a piece of your innermost self out on the internet. And the internet is a scary fucking place to be. And that is exactly why I stopped blogging since March; because I cared too much what people would think of my opinions. Whether I was blogging about the insane events that have been happening in our world, or about nothing in particular, or something personal, I was afraid of what would be said. I mean, I know deep down inside if someone doesn't like what I have to write they would probably hide me from their newsfeeds and not read my blog, but what would happen if I had that one person who would have something to say, regardless if it wasn't a comment on my blog but a status, or a tweet, or whatever? I got so wrapped up in the idea of failing that I did exactly that -- I failed myself by getting too anxious to post, thus letting my blog sit and collect dust.

Over the past few weeks I have began to come around and talk to some people about my blog. I'm a writing major in college. I'm used to the side glances and the "What are you going to do with that?" question. I'm used to the "You could get this job and this job and this job" that has nothing to do with writing, but is still a full-time job. And I realized that unless I get over my fears of pissing someone off with my own thoughts, I would have to settle for a HR job that pays you to edit some big corporate Douchebags e-mails and get no credit for it. Yaaaaaaa, no thank you. I've said it a few times already, but money isn't worth my happiness.

This summer may have been one of the best summers of my life. And I feel like I say that every year, but when I sit and reflect on the past month in itself, I realize that patience and a positive attitude will truly help piece your life together. These past couple years were hard for me, and it goes without saying a lot of that had to do with the people I was surrounded with (Whether I wanted to be surrounded by those people is a mute point, but it has to be said). I had extremely low self-esteem, I felt like all my relationships were crumbling, my anxiety was so bad I was at the point where I was distancing myself from people because I had convinced myself nobody wanted to deal with a giant ball of emotions that was myself. If I didn't even want to be in my own presence, why would my friends be? I let myself get lost in my own emotions, and it was hard for awhile. But while I was in my own world of anxiety and hatred, I had friends who pushed through and never judged me for constantly crying over the same stupid people, who would always answer a text or a phone call almost instantly when I needed them, and who I know will probably be standing next to me on my someday wedding day -- people who not even two months ago I thought I would be this close to.

Because of them,  I woke up one day and decided that even though I do have some issues with my brain, I can't those issues control my entire life. Why not be able to joke about it? It's true what they say, if you can't laugh at yourself you can't laugh at anything. I realized that it's OK to get upset, and it's OK to need time to yourself after a long day of socializing, and it's OK to admit that although it may not be completely normal, it's my reality, and nobody that actually cares about you is going to judge you for needing some time to yourself, or laugh when you get upset over something irrational. Anyone that knows me well knows that the smallest of things can set me off, whether it's tears or a yelling match. And it's not something I ever talked about openly, until now, because my mental health had a lot to do with why I stopped blogging.

It's scary to think about how I let people control my self worth the way I did. I stopped blogging because I knew that people would think me posting about anything, really, was a way for me to seek attention. Because honestly, that's what we writers are -- attention seekers. We are begging you to listen to our voices, to read our words, to pay attention to our opinions. But for whatever reason I decided my voice wasn't important enough; I was convinced my dream of getting paid to write my blog or travel the world with my Best Seller was a pipe dream, and I was giving up. Don't let anyone, ever, let you give up on your dreams. Because if they are destroying your self-image, they are not a good person to be in your life.

 Regardless if you have any control over negative people in your life, it is possible to surround yourself with better, supportive people. People who WILL be there for your crazy dreams, who will tell you that everything works itself out, who will see the good side of you when other people are trying so hard to tear you down. There will always be those people in your life, but if you surround yourself with great friends, you will start to see yourself in a whole new light. You will remember the person you were before -- you will climb out of the hole that is your destroyed self-confidence.

This summer was eye opening for me. I realized that life is fucking hard, and it will test your limits, but if you get up and dust the dirt off, you will rise back to your old self. Instead, your new self will be an even better, more determined, happier version of your old self. There are still days where I'm waiting for the ball to drop and have everything go to shit once again, but mostly I know that very slowly, everything is falling into place. Just like when everything was shitty and hard, if you're patient and positive, your life will fall into place. And it always happens when you aren't even looking.

Farwell, 2015. But Hello to a new happy, peaceful life.







And here's a few snaps from 2015 that I think made me realize how wonderful life is :)

2 comments: