Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015.

I knowwww... Go head and groan at another new years post... I am sorry. Well, not really. Sounds good though, right? Or you could, you know, not read this. Either way, I am jumping on the bandwagon of reminiscing about the past twelve months.

2014 was interesting. It wasn't the best year of my life (2010 still holds that record) but it also wasn't absolutely horrendous (I haven't given any year that title so far). It was just simply interesting. I had a horrible start to the year, but then I realized that I survived the hardest tribulation of my life for a second time, so the next eleven months could only go up from there. And they definitely did. I learned SO much about myself, the world, and life throughout the year. I honestly went into 2014 thinking I finally had found a year I could deem "The Worst Year Ever" but I decided the first week of January I had to stop being so damn pessimistic, and then began to try really fucking hard to make the best out of any situation thrown my way. And I am so glad I did.

I watched Ryan's Dad and step-mom get married (finally!!!) in January. I went on an anniversary getaway weekend in March. I blacked-out with my cousin at a townie bar, and got kicked out at last call for the first (and probably last) time ever. I almost went to nursing school (HAHA). I gained new best friends. Ryan passed his firefighter exams. I got to dance in a recital at my old dance studio. I got to attend three Red Sox games, one of them being Opening Day, and another being Derek Jeter's last game ever. I spent a week on Brant Rock with my family and friends, and the majority of the summer on Cape. I turned 22 at Fenway, too. I read 57 books all year. Some of my favorite books were adapted in incredible movies. I saw some of my favorite Youtube personales (and idols) at a live comedy show in second row. I went to a concert with some of the best people in the world (While also slicing my foot open in the parking lot). Old friendships were rekindled. I celebrated the holidays with my best friends and family by my side. I decided to go back to school in January. I decided to do what I love.

On the flip side, 2014 had it's drawbacks. Although I do not want to focus on them too much, hardships in life teach us to be ever more grateful for every minute we live.

I sat through a trial the first week of January, and I lost. One of the first mentors I had, Mr. Jack Scanlan, passed away. My best friend from elementary school told me to never speak to him ever again because he got engaged. I watched some of my best friends lose loved ones. I went a few months completely isolating myself from the real world caused by crippling self-doubt that I had obtained. I started to believe that I was going nowhere in life, and began to think that life was pointless.

Then I started to think of all the things I had accomplished, or witnessed, or experienced throughout the year, and what would come about as 2014 continued on. I started to realize that I had already been dealt some crazy cards in my lifetime, and although there would be more hands I would lose in the poker game that is called life, I would survive. I may feel as though life is too hard, or not worth it, or feel like a complete failure in my goals, but life goes on. Even if I died tomorrow, I have seen more of the world than some people ever will, I have received love that others dream of, and I have been given the greatest support system that others dream of having.

Life is interesting, and it always will be this big, interesting, confusing poker game.

(Now here is a plethora of photos from my favorite moments of 2014):






























Do I have any resolutions? Not really, no. I am horrible at keeping up with remembering what I even said I would try to accomplish in 2015. And to be totally honest, twelve months is a reaaaaally long time. You don't know what could happen to you tomorrow, what could change the course of your life. So trying to make a resolution into the unknown of the new year is daunting to me. Instead, I am going to make a Moments Jar... So instead of writing down resolutions I am going to write down moments from 2015 I hope to never forget. And whenever I'm having a rough day, or feel as though I'm wasting away the year, I'm going to read my Moments. And on New Years a year from now, I will reread them all. And hopefully write another positive blog post.

Here's to you, 2015. I am excited to see what the next twelve months bring to me, my family, and my friends. I know hardships will be inevitable. School will be horrifying. My life is going through some big changes in 2015. I would be lying if I said I wasn't absolutely terrified. That's life, though. A crazy, interesting, explainable journey.

Now buckle up, because 2015 is ready for you.

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment